Blue houses at Somerset Road Redhill | Structural Engineer Surrey

Structural Engineer – Walton-on-Thames

The well-known structural engineering company FORM Design Group offers extensive services to customers in Walton-on-Thames. The company has established a reputation for providing clients with outstanding results, making sure that projects are finished on schedule, within budget, and to the highest standards.


The engineering department of the business offers a variety of services, such as structural analysis, design, construction management, and inspection. FORM Design Group can provide a comprehensive solution for any structural engineering project, regardless of its size or complexity, thanks to its wide variety of services.

Form Team

Why choose FORM Design Group?


The dedication to quality that FORM Design Group has is one of the factors that separates us from other firms. The team collaborates closely with customers to guarantee that projects are finished to the highest standards and that they live up to their expectations.


To ensure that every project is developed and constructed to match the unique requirements of each customer, we make use of the most recent software and technology.


In addition, FORM Design Group has a reputation for completing projects on schedule and under budget. The group is aware of how critical it is to meet deadlines and guarantee that clients get their money’s worth. We put a lot of effort to finish each project on schedule, within budget, and without sacrificing quality.

Looking for a structural engineer in Walton-on-Thames?

Structural Engineering Services in Walton-on-Thames

The organisation has a lot of experience in Walton-on-Thames. We have completed a range of tasks, including construction of office buildings, housing, and public infrastructure.


We have a thorough awareness of the special difficulties that arise when working in the area because of their experience. We are knowledgeable about the local laws and ordinances, which guarantees that all projects are legitimate and accepted by the appropriate authorities.

Passivhaus Trust Logo

What else do FORM Design Group offer?

FORM Design Group offers a variety of complementary services in addition to its primary structural engineering offerings, such as architect services, conversation architecture, civil engineering, and construction. These services allow the business to offer a complete response to its clients’ needs, from the initial site evaluation through the conclusion of the construction.


FORM Design Group is dedicated to sustainability in addition to offering structural engineering services. We understand how critical it is to lessen building projects’ negative effects on the environment and we have created bespoke solutions to do so. These projects have a smaller carbon impact because they employ sustainable materials and energy-saving design elements.


As a Passivhaus Trust member, we seek to incorporate sustainable practises into our projects, such as the use of renewable energy sources, waste reduction, and the use of ecologically friendly materials.


In Walton-on-Thames, FORM Design Group is a well-known supplier of structural engineering services. Clients from all around the region have confidence in them because of their dedication to quality, sustainability, safety, and innovation. FORM Design Group has the skills and resources you require, whether you’re a homeowner looking to build a new house or a business owner looking to create a sizable commercial structure.

Structural Engineering Services – Clients’ Testimonials

What Our Clients Say…

Ask Andy

Get the answers to your FAQs by FORM’s resident Structural Engineer, Andy Manington I.Eng M ICE

Andy’s background is in civil engineering design. He has worked for large organisations, including London Heathrow Airport, and within the rail sector.


Andy understands that many people are daunted by starting a building design project, whether it’s a simple extension or major new development, and is passionate about helping them understand what’s involved so they have clear expectations from the outset:


“Before I start working with a client I explain the whole process from ‘Do I need planning permission?’ through to setting out what will happen before and during construction. It’s all about having an open approach and being absolutely clear about what the client really needs.”

What exactly does a Structural Engineer do?

Structural engineers specialise in determining the integrity of a building. They evaluate problems and establish solutions. A building must withstand numerous factors throughout its lifetime: weather, gravity and the pressure that it bears upon itself can all lead to major consequences if it is not structurally sound. 


A structural engineer can determine the strength, and durability of a structure and design solutions to ensure that it is safe and robust and will hold up under various conditions.


This work complements the work of Architects, who don’t actually prepare any structural calculations. Structural Engineering is about ensuring a structure is capable of ‘standing up’ and can withstand the pressures of use that the building is subjected to.

Do I need a Structural Engineer?

The answer to this question depends on the nature of the work you are carrying out.


If the work is decorative and no additional loads are being transferred onto your building, then it is unlikely that you will need a Structural Engineer.  If, however, load-bearing walls or chimney breasts are being modified or removed, you will need an Engineer.


Similarly, if new structural elements are being constructed such as new roofs, floors or foundations then it is again crucial that you employ a Structural Engineer. Most house extensions will require some sort of structural calculation as the existing external wall will be punctured to provide access to the new building.


If you want to remove a wall and you are not sure if it is load-bearing, then you should also employ a Structural Engineer to review the wall and the structure before its removal. The Engineer will be able to give you valuable advice and they will also be able to prepare the necessary calculations and drawings required for Building Control Regulations.


It is advisable to always check whether you need a Structural Engineer, rather than assume you don’t need one.

What is the difference between a Chartered Structural Engineer and a Chartered Civil Engineer?

The difference simply relates to which professional institution the engineer is a member of. Both Chartered Structural Engineers (MIStructE) and Chartered Civil Engineers (M ICE) are equally technically qualified and reports prepared by either are both acceptable to mortgage lenders.


The important aspect is the level and breadth of experience the engineer has.

What work can a Structural Engineer help with?

Structural engineering is key in the planning and design of commercial and residential buildings including homes, office blocks and barns.

If you are looking to create a new extension for your existing building, a structural engineer will ensure your existing walls and structures are sturdy enough to support the extension.

Where should you use the services of a structural engineering consultancy?

If you are buying a new residential property or want to create a loft or kitchen extension for your home in Walton-on-Thames, a Structural Engineer can help.


A structural engineer will ensure your property is stable and that the changes you want to make to your property won’t cause problems in the future. We provide structural drawings and reports that your construction contractor or architect can use.


Similarly, if there are issues with your commercial or residential property, such as subsidence, our Structural Engineers will be able to inspect the damage and identify how to resolve the issue.

Do I need to make a Full Plans Building Regulations application or can I use a Building Notice?

The Full Plans Building Regulations application is generally required for larger projects such as larger extensions or new buildings. The Building Notice application usually applies to smaller works such as the removal of a load-bearing wall. 


In the case of Full Plans, it is necessary to send two copies of the plans and application forms to your local Building Control. Your payment is made in two stages: one when you send the plans and one after the first inspection has been carried out by the Building Inspector.  The approval decision can take up to five weeks. When the approval has been granted works can then commence.


In the case of a  Building Notice, the form should be sent to Building Control with a block plan showing the proposals in relation to existing buildings. A single fee (equivalent to the total Building Regulations fee) is sent with this application.


You may commence the works two days after submitting the application. With the Building Notice, there is more emphasis on the builder. If the completed work does not meet Building Control requirements, significant costly and disruptive remedial works may be required to achieve the necessary standards and requirements.


Building Control will also request any relevant structural calculations and details relevant to the work. These should therefore be obtained from Chartered Structural Engineers prior to commencement of the works.

What should I do if I notice cracks or other defects?

We recommend that you contact a Structural Engineer – although you shouldn’t immediately assume that your property is suffering from foundation subsidence.  It is important to realise that defects associated with structural movement such as cracks are quite common. Many of these defects can be easily repaired at minimum cost.  However, it is best to have it looked at.  The engineer will discuss your concerns and advise you what you should do next.


In most cases, the engineer will need to visit the property and carry out an initial partial inspection of the area of concern. Sometimes the engineer will be able to identify what the problem is at this visit.


In some circumstances the engineer may need to return to the property to carry out some further investigative work, for example, excavating trial holes to confirm the size and nature of existing foundations and ground material, or lifting floorboards to confirm the floor structure and support details.


A local builder is sometimes employed to carry out these investigative works.  It may also be necessary to engage a specialist to carry out a CCTV inspection of the drains. This additional information should confirm the cause of the defect and enable the Structural Engineer to provide recommendations.

How much does a Structural Engineer cost in Walton-on-Thames?

It depends on the project. The final cost will vary depending on the number of visits needed, the size of the building and the complexity of the structural report and structural calculations.


A survey for an extension, for example, will cost less than a survey for an entire residential block of flats.


While the services of a Structural Engineer may seem like a large initial outlay, it will provide you with essential peace of mind in the long term.


You can rest assured that your property (or properties) will be safe and that the structural integrity of your building is protected.


If you are unsure of what structural work needs to be done in your building, we will be happy to provide you with a no-obligation quote.

What area of Surrey do you provide structural engineering services to?

We provide structural engineering services across Surrey, including Camberley, Chertsey, Cobham, Dorking, Egham, Farnham, Godalming, Guildford, Leatherhead, Reigate and Staines.


Our skilled team also provides services to properties across London and the South East. Please contact us to see if we can provide a service to your local area.


We will travel to your business or home in Walton-on-Thames to provide structural engineering consulting services and reports.


Contact us today and see how our structural engineers can help with your upcoming project or projects.

Examples of our Structural Engineering Projects